VS Express Compatible?

Jan 2, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Win 7 64, VS 2010 Express, AMD 64 Platform

I see that the manual (p8) says that Visual Studio 2010 Professional is "ideal."

Stupid question I know, but will cudafy.net run in VS 2010 Express?

The reason I ask is that I cannot get over the "Compilation error: nvcc fatal  : Cannot find compiler 'cl.exe' in Path"

I have tried explicitly adding a system variable named "nvcc" with a spec that points to the exact location of the cl.exe executable (In my case: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin\amd64). After the reboot I still get the error.

Should I keep trying or is VS 2010 Express a dead end?

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:20 AM

It should work, I had that same problem with VS 2010 Professional. Instead of changing the system variable, like I originally tried also but then ran into another problem after that, was to modify the "nvcc.profile" file (mine was in C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v4.1\bin) I changed...

PATH            += $(TOP)/extools/bin;$(TOP)/open64/bin;$(TOP)/nvvm;$(_HERE_);$(TOP)/lib;

to

PATH            += $(TOP)/extools/bin;C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0/VC/bin;$(TOP)/open64/bin;$(TOP)/nvvm;$(_HERE_);$(TOP)/lib;

So in other words add the path to the visual studio bin directory there. I also had to change the includes like so...

INCLUDES        +=  "-I$(TOP)/include" "-I$(TOP)/include/cudart" $(_SPACE_)

to

INCLUDES        +=  "-I$(TOP)/include" "-I$(TOP)/include/cudart" "-IC:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0/VC/include" $(_SPACE_)

Mine has VS 9.0 for the includes because I think I forgot to install the c/c++ support in visual studio 10.

Hope this helps.