Combine multiple PNG-Files?

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:51 AM
Edited Oct 15, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Hi all,

I´m locking for a very fast way to combine multiple transparency PNG-Files with same size and resolution to one PNG-File. I want to do this with C# in .NET and mayby CUDA or CUDAfy can help to solve this problem. Did anyone know how to do this?

Thomas

Coordinator
Oct 16, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I would get this working in C# first and see what your performance is like before sweating it out in the GPU world.  The .NET image libraries are quite powerful. To do it in CUDA you'd need to implement from first principles.

Found this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/465172/merging-two-images-in-c-net

Oct 16, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Hi Nick,

thanks a lot for your answer.
I know this example but I forgot to say, that my source must run in a Windows Service.
The System-Drawing-Namespace doesn´t do this. Is there any "standard" functions in CUDA to do this?

MSDN:

Caution

Classes within the System.Drawing namespace are not supported for use within a Windows or ASP.NET service. Attempting to use these classes from within one of these application types may produce unexpected problems, such as diminished service performance and run-time exceptions. For a supported alternative, see Windows Imaging Components.

Oct 30, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Just because it's not supported doesn't mean it won't work. If you code assuming the possibility of substantial multi-threading, you might be just fine.

Pieter

Coordinator
Oct 30, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Agree. I will just emphasize that the above answer refers to working within a Windows or ASP.NET service, and not that CUDAfy supports it.

Nov 1, 2012 at 4:11 AM
Edited Nov 1, 2012 at 4:13 AM

At the bottom of Page 76 in the CUDA C Programming Guide it states the following  [my emphasis for bullet 3]

3.6 Tesla Compute Cluster Mode for Windows 

Using NVIDIA’s System Management Interface (nvidia-smi), the Windows device driver can be put in TCC (Tesla Compute Cluster) mode for devices of the Tesla and Quadro Series of compute capability 2.0 and higher. 

This mode has the following primary benefits:

• It makes it possible to use these GPUs in cluster nodes with non-NVIDIA integrated graphics;

• It makes these GPUs available via Remote Desktop, both directly and via cluster management systems that rely on Remote Desktop;

• It makes these GPUs available to applications running as a Windows service (i.e., in Session 0).   

However, the TCC mode removes support for any graphics functionality

Coordinator
Nov 1, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Take a look at this article.

http://www.codeproject.com/Tips/407807/Faster-copies-to-CUDA-GPUs