This project is read-only.

VS11 support?

Nov 25, 2012 at 1:47 AM
Edited Nov 25, 2012 at 1:48 AM

I've just started using CUDA, in general, (also CUDAfy.NET) for the first time.

I am running on Win8 64 platform with VS11 Ult. installed.

At first I couldn't compile because nvcc couldn't find cl.exe, so I just modified the nvcc.profile to include the required files. 

Now, I'm getting an error telling me only MSVC9 and MSVC10 are supported for compiling, as follows:

Compilation error: nvcc : fatal error : nvcc cannot find a supported cl version. Only MSVC 9.0 and MSVC 10.0 are supported

Is there any way I can work around this WITHOUT reverting back to VS10 (or just installing it and then pointing to it)?

Thanks in advance!

Nov 25, 2012 at 8:45 PM
Edited Nov 25, 2012 at 9:18 PM

As far as I can tell, nvcc (nvidia's c compiler, used to transform C kernels into ptx) internally uses visual studio's C/C++ compiler cl.exe to do part of its work.

nvcc is installed along with the CUDA toolkit and, depending on the toolkit version, different visual studio C/C++ compilers will be supported.

Therefore, this doesn't seem to be a problem of CUDAfy (I could be wrong, of course), but of compatibility between your versions of CUDA toolkit and visual studio. You could verify that by trying to compile on VS and run some of the samples that are shipped with the toolkit.

cheers

P.S. You could always install vs2008 express - it's tiny and free.

Nov 27, 2012 at 4:49 PM

VS 2008, 2010 and 2012 can all be installed side-by-side without any difficulties. You may need to ensure that the PATH seen by CUDA has (at least oe of) 2010 or 2008 ahead of 2012.