Cuda 5.5 depricated functions

Oct 25, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Hi Nick,

I've been writing my own little app, and having a bit of trouble with the compilation and loading of my kernel. When I wrote a test app, and started building up my code from the most basic of vector additions to something getting closer to what I want to achieve, I noticed that when I passed in a thread dim with a z component, the z wasn't making it's way thru to the kernel, and I was not getting the results I expected.

After a bit of digging, it looks like CudaGPU.DoLaunch uses CUDADriver.cuLaunchGrid which only takes grid.x and grid.y. According to the 5.5 Documentation this method is deprecated, and is replaced by cuLaunchKernel which does take all 3 grid dimensions.

I was just wondering if you were working to replace this (and the other deprecated function) in Cudafy. I'm happy to make the changes need to suite my use case and submit a patch, but didn't want to double up on the work if you've already got it sat in a local patch that you haven't pushed yet.
Coordinator
Oct 26, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Hi there,
The only reason we have not moved to the new launch is that the old one still works and no one has needed the z dimension yet. If you would like to try adding it, writing a small unit test and checking the other tests still run then that would be much appreciated. Maybe you can also send me an email so we can better work on this together - giving you access to our internal SVN later may simplify things.
Cheers,
Nick