This project is read-only.

Compilation error: .

Sep 30, 2014 at 9:41 AM
I currently am struggling to get Cudafy to work. Using the Cudafy Viewer I get the following feedback.

Check for CUDA :
Found 1 devices.

Name: GeForce GT 555M
Compute capability: 2.1

Run CUDA Test
Platform=x64
Checking for CUDA SDK at C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v6.5\bin\nvcc
CUDA SDK Version=6.5
Attempting to cudafy a kernel function.
Successfully translated to CUDA C.
Attempting to compile CUDA C code.
Compilation error: .

The same "Compilation error: ." occurs when I run
CudafyModule km = CudafyTranslator.Cudafy();

Please help
Apr 14, 2015 at 11:33 AM
Hi,

I have exactly the same error, i would like to know if you found any solution. I have the same GPU.

Thanks in advance.

R.
May 18, 2015 at 10:11 AM
Hi

I recently had that problem too. It turned out the cl.exe wasn't in the PATH.

@Nick:
Hi, I hope you're doing well.
The problem here is that the capturing of the std and err out streams isn't working properly after launching the process. I wrote this as a fix (it lacks the timeout code, it was just meant as a quick fix):
                    process.Start();

string standardOutput = null;
                    string standardError = null;

using (Task processWaiter = Task.Factory.StartNew(() => process.WaitForExit()))
                    using (Task<string> outputReader = Task.Factory.StartNew(() => process.StandardOutput.ReadToEnd()))
                    using (Task<string> errorReader = Task.Factory.StartNew(() => process.StandardError.ReadToEnd()))
                    {
                        Task.WaitAll(processWaiter, outputReader, errorReader);

standardOutput = outputReader.Result;
                        standardError = errorReader.Result;
                    }

if (process.ExitCode != 0)
                    {
Now this uses the Task Parallelism features of 4.5 (I'm running cudafy in 4.5), which mightn't be what you need, but at least you have a starting point. Check for instance this article: http://alabaxblog.info/2013/06/redirectstandardoutput-beginoutputreadline-pattern-broken/
May 19, 2015 at 1:55 PM
I find it incredible that 2 years on and people are still asking this same question

do we think there may be lack of clarity in the install docs?

I tried recently to re-install cuda and cudafy for vs 2010 and got "cuda directory not found"
help, did not find any. Still broken, still not using gpgpu, happily using cpu parallel, easier to debug too !

Bearing in mind the number steps to achieve installation (see below), I reckon 90% of folks give up before getting this excellent and I mean "cudafy" is excellent,
tool to work.

install cuda 5.5 or is it 6.5 ( some confusion on Stack.O) and Nvidia keep wanting to push v7 so you have to hunt for 5.5 etc
install nvidia toolkit or is this the same?
install cudafy
get the cudafy viewer to work and recognize card, I got this far
change the system env variables, specifically which ones cuda, cuda_path, or just path ?
(i'm assuming this is my error, but have not solved so cant confirm which dir its looking for and where to specify)

add ref to cudafy.dll.net in vs to your project, version I had several !
add ref path (visual studio? or where?) to cl.exe, i'm still not sure where to add this, although I have successfully installed before!

Get you head around the fact that cudafy, calls/creates some c++, ptx libs or something to talk to the gpu processor. you may say the user does not need to know this, but if you look at the files it give at least some information of what has gone wrong in the "talking to gpu" bit of code, I found it useful :-)

When you get to this stage your brain is not really up for coping with the concepts or parallel gpu processing

BUT MUST READ The brilliant "Introduction to CUDA" as recommended !!!

is all this and the problems/error messages that can arise covered in the install manual? if it is why are people still asking the same questions?
May 19, 2015 at 2:55 PM
@carlrees1234, in regard to cl.exe:

The windows environment variable PATH must contain the location of visual studio's c compiler "cl.exe". This is required since cudatoolit's compilation tools will try to execute it. The location of the "cl.exe" will depend on your visual studio version and installation folder, For example, mine is C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\VC\bin\amd64